Geelong National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Geelong Victoria and you are invited.
As a region located in Victoria, Australia, Geelong has a rich cultural heritage and hosts numerous nationally or globally recognized annual events that draw people from all over the world. Here are some of the biggest events that people can observe in and around Geelong:
1. Australian International Airshow - The Australian International Airshow is one of the most significant events in the aviation industry globally. The event is held every two years, bringing together aviation enthusiasts from all over the world. The event features flying displays from the top aviation companies, military demonstrations, and numerous activities. The event takes place in Avalon Airport, which is just outside Geelong.
2. Festival of Sails - The Festival of Sails, held in late January, is regarded as the biggest regatta in the Southern Hemisphere and is one of the biggest annual events in Geelong. The festival attracts up to 300,000 visitors each year. The event features a vast range of water activities, including sailing competitions, yachting, paddleboarding, and wakeboarding, among others. The festival also includes a music festival, market stalls, and a fireworks display.
3. Geelong Revival Motoring Festival - The Geelong Revival Motoring Festival is one of the premier annual events in Geelong, held in November. The event features vintage and classic cars, motorcycles, vintage boats, and historic racing cars. Visitors can enjoy a range of activities, including demonstrations, races, and parades. The festival also includes food stalls, merchandise vendors, and street parties.
4. Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race - The Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race is a prestigious annual cycling event named after Cadel Evans, a former Australian professional cyclist. The event takes place every January and has two races; Elite men's road race and women's; both sharing coastal roads along the Great Ocean Road. The event attracts top cyclists from around the world and is internationally recognized.
5. Pako Festa - Pako Festa is a significant cultural festival that celebrates the diversity of people that call Geelong their home. The event, held in late February, showcases the local talents and gastronomy of different cultures. The event features live music, street parade, dance, workshops, and numerous food stalls.
6. Queenscliffe Literary Festival - The Queenscliffe Literary festival is a smaller, annual event that is held every May. The event presents an assortment of keynote speakers, writing workshops and book readings by prominent Australian and international writers. Visitors can expect a weekend of literary themes, talks, workshops and heated debates.
7. Toast to the Coast - The Toast to the Coast is an annual wine festival that takes place during the last weekend of October. The event is held throughout the Bellarine Peninsula, a short drive from Geelong. Visitors can enjoy wine tasting, gourmet food, live music, and breathtaking views of the vineyards.
8. Geelong Heritage Festival - The Geelong Heritage Festival is an annual event held in April and May, featuring cultural and historical experiences. The festival celebrates the history, culture, and traditions of the region. Visitors can take guided tours, listen to talks and lectures, learn about local folklore, and visit historic landmarks.
9. Festival of Glass - The Festival of Glass is a unique annual event that takes place in the Bellarine Peninsula. The festival celebrates the art of glass and offers visitors an opportunity to see glass blowing demonstrations, view glass art exhibitions and marvel at the creativity of glass artists.
10. Werribee Park National Trust - For those seeking historical events, the annual Werribee Park National Trust, held every January, offers visitors an opportunity to take a step back in time and experience the grandeur of Victorian-era Australia. The event takes place at the Werribee Park Mansion that features a guided tour, carriage rides, live music, and a range of kid-friendly activities.
whether you are a cultural enthusiast, nature lover, or passionate about motorsports and cycling, Geelong has something to offer. The region hosts numerous annual events that are nationally or globally recognized and attract visitors from all over the world. So, if you're looking for an annual event to visit or observe in Geelong, there's no shortage of options.